Securing Your Property

Securing Your Property

While the Wollongong area has comparatively lower burglary rates than other parts of NSW, it always makes sense to secure your property well. The NSW Police advise that most break and enter crimes are opportunistic; thieves will usually target ‘easy’ places with low security.

Here are a few things to keep in mind:

  • Make sure that your doors and windows have locks, and use them.
  • Make a list of your valuable items, and consider marking or engraving them with a traceable number, such as your driver’s license.
  • If you go home for session break, ask a trusted friend to collect your mail and check on your property every few days.
  • Don’t leave an answering machine message or note on your door saying that you aren’t at home.
  • Get to know your neighbours. You can help each other out by keeping an eye on your homes.

The NSW Police have developed a short video on securing your home. View the Home Security video >>

Reporting A Break In

If someone has broken into your home, you can report it to the NSW Police by calling the Police Assistance Line on 131 444. This number is for non-emergencies only.

If you find yourself in an emergency situation, call 000.

If you have home contents insurance, you’ll also need to lodge a claim with your insurance agent, and provide them with a reference number from the police report.

Last reviewed: 2 December, 2009

Download Security's Mobile App Now:


Be Safe

On Campus Commuting Out & About At Home

In an emergency

UOW Campus: Dial #1 from any campus security phone

Police, Fire, Ambulance: Call 000 from any phone

Report a crime: Call the Police Assistance Line on 131 444

My Campus Security

Security details and contact phone numbers are different for each campus, so its important to find the right information for you.