Tenant Rights & Responsibilities

Tenant Rights & Responsibilities

The Tenants Union of NSW and Tenants Advice and Advocacy Services provide free advice for people renting in NSW.  Together they provide the TenantsNSW site. When you agree to lease a property, they advise that you should: 

  • be given a copy of the residential tenancy agreement which is a standard form of agreement that all landlords must use. This agreement is a legally binding contract
  • be given a condition report filled out by the landlord. The condition report is part of the residential tenancy agreement
  • have any bond you pay to your landlord lodged with the Office of Fair Trading Renting Services
  • be given your place in a clean and reasonable condition.

The TenantsNSW  site contains a lot of information about your rights and responsibilities as a tenant, and also provides information in Arabic, Chinese, Farsi, Korean, Spanish, and Vietnamese.

If you run into trouble

If you have a problem with your landlord that you can’t resolve, you can take the matter to Consumer, Trader & Tenancy Tribunal. The Tribunal can deal with issues such as unreasonable rent increases, issues relating to your rental bond, and early termination of your rental agreement. They also provide information in languages other than English.

Last reviewed: 2 December, 2009

Download Security's Mobile App Now:


Be Safe

On Campus Commuting Out & About At Home

In an emergency

UOW Campus: Dial #1 from any campus security phone

Police, Fire, Ambulance: Call 000 from any phone

Report a crime: Call the Police Assistance Line on 131 444

My Campus Security

Security details and contact phone numbers are different for each campus, so its important to find the right information for you.