Pre-arrival Safety Checklist

Being prepared will help with your move if you're coming to Wollongong to study. We've developed a list things for you to consider.


Think about any documentation that you might need for things like enrolment, getting a lease, or connecting the phone. Here are a few suggestions;

  • Passport and student visa (if you're an international student)
  • Offer of Admission letter and electronic Confirmation of Enrolment
  • Bank statement to show how you will support yourself in Australia (if you're an international student)
  • Receipts of payments (tuition fees, OSHC)
  • Scholarship letter (if applicable)
  • Original or certified copies of your academic transcripts
  • Personal identification documents such as driver’s licence or ID card, birth certificate, or marriage certificate
  • Medical records or prescriptions, and your medicare card
  • Resume or employment records if your planning on looking for work

Student Visas

If you're coming to Australia to study from another country, your student visa is one thing that you have to get right. The Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship has all the information you'll need about visa options and applying for a visa, as well as information about working while studying, and student visa assessment levels. Go to Department of Immigration and Citizenship »


If you're travelling from overseas or interstate, you'll need to arrange and confirm any travel arrangements you make. If you're flying into Sydney Airport, you'll also need to figure out how you'll be getting to Wollongong. International students can request a free airport pick-up. Car hire and public transport as also options for getting from Sydney to Wollongong.


Have you organised somewhere to stay when you arrive in Wollongong? See our section on Finding Accommodation »


If you plan to drive a car or ride a motor bike while you're here, you'll need to change your licence to a NSW driver or rider licence. Visit the NSW Road and Traffic Authority site for the details.

Last reviewed: 15 December, 2009

Download Security's Mobile App Now:


Be Safe

On Campus Commuting Out & About At Home

In an emergency

UOW Campus: Dial #1 from any campus security phone

Police, Fire, Ambulance: Call 000 from any phone

Report a crime: Call the Police Assistance Line on 131 444

My Campus Security

Security details and contact phone numbers are different for each campus, so its important to find the right information for you.